Thursday, January 27, 2011

Deadliest Catch Update, Freddie and the Wizard's First Offload of 2011

It has been a fun Couple of Days up Dutch Harbor way, Yesterday the snow was coming down wet and thick, making a real mess of traveling. Then last night from 7-9 (While I was at the Tsunami Bowl, I'll do a post about that later) it switched over to rain and now all the snow is gone and it is just water and mud everywhere! And the Wind is not helping any either!
Today - southeast 40 - 50 gusts 75 <> Friday - west 25 - 40 rain, snow, Friday night - west 10 - 20 scattered snow, rain, Saturday - northwest 20 - 35 scattered snow So it was a wet, icy and slippery trip down to Westward with Vanessa to see Freddie and the Wizard when they got in this morning!


Just a little shot of the Crab being offloaded

A Very Happy Freddie and Vanessa and I finally got a shot without Freddie Trying to be the "Tough Guy"!!! He is one of the nicest guys you would ever have the pleasure of meeting and I am proud to call him and Vanessa my Friends. I am so happy he has found a home on a great Boat like the Wizard, and a Captain like Keith who will treat him right! My favorite Guy is now on my favorite Boat! (It's like a Fanboy fantasy team!)
Freddie showing us the Difference between Clean crab
and one that has some barnacles. In fact that was the only one I saw with any. Really Good Clean Nice sized Crab.
A Proud Captain returns with mail from the Westward Office (Probably something from Mystic! in those Boxes) and Joins Freddie at the Brailers for another inspection.
Just look at that Beautiful Crab! It's been a while since I saw such nice clean large ones!
Keith, in really good spirits kids Freddie "Do you see any you recognize?", and both commented on how nice the crab was and the almost 0 dead loss they had even though they had a rough trip in and while fishing. Freddie said there were 3 1/2 days when they could not even get on deck while they were out.
Ok, Now Vanessa may kill me when she sees I posted these ones with her hair out of place but look above at the 60+mph winds we are having with Ice and rain pelting us and it's hard to find a "good Hair" picture anywhere!!

Well, except with those of us who buzzed off their hair again!



Some traditions die hard and of course Freddie got a cut on his finger which swelled up a bit. As is typical with him he just brushed it off and kept on working!
The Wizard will probably wait out the storm in Dutch for a few days and leave on Saturday. Their next few Deliveries will be in Saint Paul so I am so happy Vanessa asked me to come on down this time to see Freddie. Good Luck on the next 300,000 #'s guys!!

Oh, and I heard the Cornelia Marie is already done. They should really thank Keith and Florence for getting them what little quota they had! If they end up coming through here I will try to get some photos.

Have a great day everyone!

17 comments:

Reading said...

great pics Brian...Freddie looks really happy, glad to know the Wizard crew is safely in port during the storm...wishing all the crabbers out their safe fishing...

Kimi said...

Good to see Freddie happy. Glad they made it in safe and sound. hope they have a productive and safe rest of season.

Mystic said...

Woooooooooo Hoooooo! Brian my dear, you know you made my night! Keith sends his thanks for the pictures hon. :)
I am THRILLED that Freddie is now aboard the Wizard!
LOL I'm ashamed to say a package from me is not in that stack. I got my King's package out early, but have been dragging on the opies' package. I'll have to get on that now. LOL They will have it for the trip home at least!
HUGS!
Mystic

Mystic said...

Oh and tell Vanessa she looks beautiful windblown and perfectly coiffed!!
Hugs again!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the pics CB!! Freddie looks like he has found a new home and is happy. Those care packages he's carrying - the one on the bottom wrapped in brown tape is ours - from the fans at Deadliest Catch Fan Video Room Group!! WOO HOO!!

Thanks
MB

Helen said...

Brian,

Thanks, as always, for posting the wonderful pictures! It feels good to see the guys safe and well.

Keep the great pics and info coming. It is deeply appreciated.

Also, I'm loving that jacket and I wear it constantly. THANKS!

Luv ya!
H.

mamawas said...

Thanks for all the DC updates Brian, the Wiz looks like a happy deck for sure. Nice to see all the comments on her pix too!
The eagles are amazing. I am surprised you cut your hair too.
DOnna

Unknown said...

AWW - thanks for the update and the pictures! good job!

Michelle H. said...

Thanks for the great pics and video. You could hear the wind whipping in the video so I know it has to be cold up there.

Lucy said...

" They should really thank Keith and Florence for getting them what little quota they had! "

????

Margrita said...

CB love the eagle picture they look awesome. Wow you can really hear that whipping wind on your video BRRRR. Thanks for sharing those pictures Freddy looks very happy glad to see him aboard the Wizard. Stay warm and try to stay out of the storm.

terrig said...

Wow, great pics & video as usual. Hope the weather clears up some for you all. Glad Freddie is doing well and hope he makes lots of money this year!

Lori said...

Great post CB - but can't leave it at 13! THAT WOULD BE BAD JUJU!

Lori said...

Thanks for the update on Freddie and am glad that everything has worked out for him. I'm sure Keith is appreciative to have such a hard working guy! Thank both Freddie and Vanessa for letting you post the pics of them and be a part of your great blog.

May the weather clear up soon so that they can get back to crabbing! Be safe!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog CB...and...I am thrilled to know that Freddie is happy and healthy ( minus the cut) on the Wizard...Every since I have begun to watch DC..Freddie stood out as a good guy..

I grew up in a resort town in NH...and..grew up in the hospitality business...Not always an easy gig! but...you do it well..

Also loved to hear the Eagles sing! Thanks !

Scarlett

lsitom said...

I see the weather's cleared up a tiny bit & just heard from my honey that the Rollo has met her quota & is heading back to St Paul to unload. Those guys are getting pretty beat up out there. I thank God the Rollo's done, still pray for her safe return & all in between. I'll say a prayer for all of them tonite.
Thank you for your pics, CB. It helps put me just a bit closer to my guy. To see what he looks so forward to seeing right now... it'll put him that much closer to home when they fuel up there.
Again, thanks for your blog.

CaliGirl9 said...

Yay for Freddie and Vanessa. It's most important for Freddie to like where he's working, and I would think that the CM and its memories of Phil are just too hard to take. Freddie may be a superhuman fisherman/deckhand, but he is human :)

Hopefully Keith gave up the chewing tobacco...